As the market is forever evolving, so are the SMS campaign practices. It is important for a company to master the fundamentals in SMS marketing to benefit their company.
Here is a list of top 5 SMS campaigns best practices to master in 2020:
• Ask Permission Before you Send an SMSYou may feel that it's only an SMS, but you obviously do not want to send messages to your customer when he does not wish to receive them. Asking permission for text marketing opt-ins can be done anywhere right from in-store signs and flyers to your website and social media. Send simple opt-in requests such as prompting them to text a short code if they wish to receive SMS messages from your company.
• Only Send Texts During Business HoursAnyone can easily get annoyed on receiving promotional texts during odd hours. Your texts are effective only when they are sent at the right time. Avoid sending messages during rush hour too such as 6.30 am to 8.30 am. 10 am or 11 am is a good time to send such messages. There are exceptions to the target audience in this. With the furor of spam emails and forward messages on WhatsApp, text messages have retained their importance. If an SMS message comes in the middle of the night, the majority of the people tend to get up to read it. So, it is necessary to maintain the importance of your SMS messages and send them at a time you think is most practical for your user. Morning hours during the weekend are great to send offers and promotional coupons on text messages service.
• Choose a Conversational ToneThe best SMS campaign for 2019 states that companies should try to humanize their brand more and make a connection while sending such messages. Use the first name of the customer and talk to them while sending texts.
Once your customers have shown interest in your offers, use your privilege wisely, else you will soon get opt-outs. Moreover, learn to strike the right balance and set the right tone of conversation. If you use your SMS service correctly, you may receive the same attention for your texts as you may get from a friend. It is also important to make your opt-out process simple, else users might get frustrated and complain to their carrier service. This might lead to blocking or filtering of your messages eventually.
• Use Hyperlinks for Relevant InformationTo make your marketing strategy more personal and relevant, you should know as much as possible about your subscribers. Take time to fetch additional insights so that you can send messages that can be linked to offers and promotions relevant to your customer.
• Target your SMS messagesIt is better to send targeted messages to a particular segment of your audience. Companies do not send SMS messages as frequently as they send emails and hence SMS messages do make an impact. Integrate your CRM system with your messaging platform so that you can send text messages based upon demographics, locations, and purchase history.
• Send triggered messagesTarget your customers based upon their recent action or inaction. Sending triggered messages can help you interact with your customers better. When a customer has recently purchased an item from your website, you can send then text messages to invite them to buy related items to the purchase. You could also offer them a discount. As SMS messages can be sent with immediate effect, you can send them such offers even before they log off from the website.
• Keep your messages short and to the pointWhile sending SMS messages, it is important that you get to the point quickly. SMS messages have created a kind impression in the minds of people of being short and brief. Nobody wants to read long and spam looking messages.
• Include a Call to ActionIt is necessary to include a call to action message in your texts. A ‘click here’ or ‘buy now’ along with a new offer or promotional coupon has more chances of being effective.
• Include branded links for SMS marketing campaignsInstead of adding a long and ugly link to your SMS message while including a call to action, it is better to use a generic URL shortener. It is also a good idea to create a custom short link with your company’s brand name on it. This increases your brand visibility and makes your message look neat and tidy.
• Include URL destination redirectsOne of the best features of SMS marketing campaigns is that it enables you to change the destination URL of your links. This helps to easily fix an error if someone from the team has mistakenly added a link in the wrong place. In case, the special offer message has expired, you can redirect the link to the latest available offer.
• Personalize your messagesWhen you send personalized messages, you make your customers feel more valued and you get a warmer response from them. But to send personalized messages, you will need to do some conversion. You can either do mail-merge so that all the contacts are greeted by their first name or you could send two-way SMS. In this method, a direct message is sent to specific customers and then a high-end bot can have a unique conversation with them.
• Track and monitor the resultsThe short URLs with UTM parameters in-built, you can easily track which SMS marketing campaigns are getting the most clicks and user engagement. You can this way, analyze what works best for your customers. You can try different offers, sending times, call to action, and personalization to see what works best in order to optimize your SMS marketing campaign.
SMS marketing campaigns are used by many brands for marketing, customer service, sending password resets, delivery confirmation messages, and appointment reminders. Some people also use SMS marketing for online surveys to encourage feedback. These tactics make customers more receptive to your messages.
All these outlooks will help you get the best marketing results using SMS.