4 Essential Details of Business Text Message Privacy Laws
If you are planning to use text messages then it is very important to find more about business text messaging private policy. This is very important for you otherwise you may land in the legal trouble because of various penalties regarding violation of telephone protection consumer law.
In order the save the money wasted on penalties, which could sink a successfully running business, you should know more about the four essential details of business message private policy.
Most business organizations and companies using text messages for the sake of business are free from legal binding. Even the text message service providers, mass text message marketing and software service providers are free to make use of text messaging without any legal obligation.
1. The Telephone Consumer Protection Act
Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) came into the existence in the year 1991 in the US and it defines restricts the use of pre-recorded messages and the automatic dialing systems, while using the text and fax messages.
Regulation of law
The three government organizations regulated the laws are Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA), Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the Mobile Marketing Association (MMA).
While sending a message to any person, you should follow the rules. The recipient of the text messages should be alerted with the information given below:
• Name of your business and the name of the business organization
• The type of text message sent to the recipient.
• The total size of the text messages sent to receivers per month
• Any charges or fees collected from the users or recipients.
• How to opt-out of text messages
2. CAN-SPAM Act
The act regarding the spamming CAN-SPAM Act restricts the businesses and other organizations regarding sending text messages in form of advertisements and business promotions, mainly for the products or services, which are sent without any consent of the recipient.
This law is applicable to any commercial message which includes that any electronic message with the primary purpose of commercial advertisement or any type of business promotion which of any commercial product or service.
The requirements for CAN-SPAM Act specifications:
• Never make use of misleading or false header information
• Never allow the use of deceptive subject descriptions
• Clearly mention that the message is an advertisement
• Specify your location in the message clearly for the recipients to know
• Also, give options for the recipients to opt-out or unsubscribe
• The option to opt-out should work promptly without any delay
• Monitor every messaging activity
• Make an option for new call-to-action
3. Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations of UK
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations of the UK offers particular privacy rights to the consumers in the field of electronic communications for the following services.
• Emails, business calls, text messages, and faxes
• Offering secured communications services
• Customer privacy should be maintained as per the traffic and availability of data, the billing process, identification of lines and the directory listings.
4. Generate Data Protection Regulation of the European Union
According to the European Union, Generate the Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) allows data to be protected by businesses and privacy of citizens of the EU should be maintained within EU states. According to the GDPR regulations, the restrictions are made against the export of personal data outside the EU and also offering privacy and data protection a per GDPR norms which include:
• Prior permissions are needed for data processing
• Notifications will be sent for breaching of data
• Handling the data safely across the borders
• Data should be protected by Authorities when used in business text messaging.
These are the four essential laws regarding the privacy of text messaging which plays an important role in business promotional activities.